Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Week 73: Kind of a Crazy Week!

But when is it not crazy in the good ol' Midwest! Ah, I love it. We went to the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum yesterday with a couple of other sister missionaries, and one of them made a comment about how she thought that this area (it's her second) would be less crazy than her first. And I was like, "Oh honey. It's the Midwest." I love it! I also think that it's simply mission life... It doesn't get much better than this! 

Many, many things happened this week, and I can't even remember the half of them. Typical, for my emails. Typical for my journal too, I feel kind of bad! I hope that I have lots of good mission stories to tell when I get home. Okay, no, there's too many to count, but that's okay. 

I can't believe that Sara gets home so soon! We left the same day!! Foreign missions.

Anyway, some highlights this week... We've been working with our young woman investigator, Adrian. She's working towards baptism either on the 28th of this month or the 7th of next. Super exciting! It's so clear in this case how important fellowship from the ward is though. She is getting great fellowship from some of the adults in the ward, which is good news. 

We had a great lesson with Lori. She had been struggling a bit, and we could sense that there was a concern that she wasn't talking about. But Sister Herdman and I felt prompted to share the Articles of Faith with her, and #6 really answered her prayers. She said that she knew that that was a sign from God that this truly is the church that she's meant to be a part of. There's a part in Preach My Gospel that talks about how investigators' concerns are like icebergs... we only see the tip, and the rest is hidden. But if you are teaching by the Spirit, you really can be blessed with answering questions in their hearts. It's amazing.

It was officially the transfer on Wednesday, but it didn't feel like it, because Sister Herdman and I have already been together! It's a strange feeling, like the transfer is going to last 8 weeks instead of 6. Whatever works! haha. 

Thursday, we drove down to Glen Carbon, to spend the night with the other STLs, because Friday was... Missionary Leadership Council!

Oh, MLC is so great. We learn so much. The mission is doing really well! The work is truly hastening in many different ways. It's a little bit long (10-4) but the time really flies by. Meetings are some of my favorite days on the mission (weird, right?) because the Spirit is so strong when you gather with other missionaries. 

On the way back from MLC, we had a bit of a miracle! We had put all of our stuff in the car, hugged the other sisters good-bye, and gotten in the car. I was driving, and Sister Herdman was backing me. I put the keys in the ignition, and try to start it... and it turns over a couple times then fizzles out. Again. And again. So, we call our vehicle coordinator... doesn't answer. We call the elders... they don't help much. So, we're sitting in the cold car, thinking of how we're going to have to stay another night in Glen Carbon (which we really don't want to do) and how our plans are all going to be changed... And I say, "Let's pray. And try one more time. And then we'll go back inside and tell the sisters what's going on."

So we bow our heads, and the gist of our prayer was, "Heavenly Father, we understand if we're supposed to learn how to deal with trials this way. But please, if it be thy will, let the car start."

And I put the keys in, and it starts up like nothing had ever happened.

It was amazing! The power of prayer, and the power of faith is real!

Valentine's Day was pretty great. Sister Herdman made me breakfast (German pancakes). I made her dinner (Lemony asparagus fettucine alfredo, Italian soup, pan seared veggies, and a salad). Ate it by candlelight, as per my mission tradition. It was a lot of fun. It was a good companionship unity building time ;)

Anyway, that was pretty well our week! Oh, and I counted four hundred dollars in quarters. That was fun too. 

Lots of love! Have a great week!

Sister Barret

No comments:

Post a Comment