Monday, April 21, 2014

Week 30: Happy Easter!

Happy Easter everyone!




This is the Easter egg I decorated at a less active member's home. It is super cool! They got fake eggs that you can dye/decorate like real ones, except the crayons work way better :)



One more pictures for the week...
Springtime in Missouri! The trees are blossoming everywhere. This type of tree is super popular, it feels like they are everywhere.

Also, everyone admire my wonderful parking job... Yes, I parked that white Ford. Don't mind me :)

Won't be doing much more wonderful parking anymore, because my new companion, Sister Nelson, will be driving! Yes, that's right, just as I have finally adjusted to getting in on the driver's side :) haha. We got transfer calls on Saturday night, and Sister Esterholdt is leaving Oakville and heading to Illinois, while I am staying here and getting a new companion! 

This week had some really great things happening! On Tuesday, we had two lessons with investigators with members there. We love when members come because they can connect with investigators so well. For example, one of the investigators we saw is Catholic, so we brought a member who converted from Catholicism. She was able to testify to him that the Church has really blessed her, and she understands many things in a much deeper sense now. It definitely struck him to see someone who has been in his position. 

Funny story from the week! So, we do weekly service sometimes at a place called Feed My People. And one of the things they do is have us take leftover food from catering events that restaurants donate and package them in smaller containers that they can hand out. And then we label them and date them, so each container says something like "potatoes 4/21/14". Well,  I open up this one container of food, and I swear, it looks like tofu rolls. Or something. They were cylindrical, whitish with brown flecks, and soft looking. And they didn't smell like anything. Mystery food at its finest! Well, I poke it. I package it. They're super squishy. I suspected that it was some sort of pudding or something. Well, I was wearing gloves and finally I just caved and tasted some that had stuck to my gloves. And it was sweet! Some sort of dessert, juts a really weird looking one! haha. Sister Esterholdt thought I was crazy to taste it :)

On Saturday, we made cupcakes that we later decorated and handed out to some people for Easter. That was fun. 

On Easter, we actually visited quite a few people! We saw three members and an investigator. Cupcakes open doors :) Actually, I'm pretty sure it was because they were people that Sister Esterholdt wanted to see before she headed out of Oakville. 

We had Easter dinner (lasagna! Not ham!) with some members, and had a good time there. They also gave us Easter baskets... I should have taken a picture of those...

Spiritual thought of the week!
So, it being Easter weekend of course, I have to recommend the video "Because of Him" on mormon.org and lds.org. It's really a great video. If you have a chance, check it out! But from my personal study, I have been reading in 2 Nephi 9. And as I mentioned, I've been being pretty darn slow with the Book of Mormon this time through because I've been studying the footnotes (all of them) and there are a LOT in 2 Nephi 9. It's a packed chapter. Today, I was reading in verse 40: "I know that the words of truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them not, for they love the truth and are not shaken." 

I love this scripture! It reminds me of a General Authority, I think it was President Eyring but I'm not sure. He taught us that all truth is part of the gospel. It doesn't matter the apparent source of the truth--the scriptures, science, philosophy, whatever. All truth is ultimately from God, and as such is part of the gospel. We should welcome all truth, and we need not fear it. When we cannot see how something new fits in to the overall picture, we need to be patient, and we will eventually learn. Love the truth, don't fear it.

I love you all! Hope that you had a wonderful Easter. Summer is coming!

Love,

Sister Barret

No comments:

Post a Comment