Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Week 64: At This Point I'm Kinda Regretting Starting the Count

But it's too late now. For consistency's sake. 

Also, for once, I'm the slower companion in emailing, because Sister Martinez just told me she's pretty much done. I'm sorry! I was slow in responding, and I'm not sure why, so I'll try to be speedy now.

This week we tried a horseshoe from a place called D'Arcy's Pint. Look it up. It sounds disgusting, I know. A piece of Texas toast, topped with breaded tenderloin, topped with fries, topped with cheese sauce. Actually, it's delicious. Oh man.
Contacting at night can be a little sketchy... especially when it's dark and you realize that you are coming up on a ditch in the middle of a road. Guess we're not trying that house!
I am sending a picture of our Christmas decor :) I finished building it this week. In case you can't tell, that's our family portrait over the mantle haha. I was getting tired of not having any Christmas tree, so I spent last night (instead of writing in my journal... I know, I know) making the tree.

Our week went great! Not as many exchanges as last week, so that was more relaxing, for sure. We also had President interviews, our once-every-three-months opportunity to sit down with our mission president and talk one on one. It's the best. I know for sure that President Morgan was called of God to lead our mission. 

Okay, some highlights...

We are teaching some amazing people, by the way. I'll summarize. Lori is a woman who has been investigating the church off and on for YEARS, with a big gap there in the middle. She has cancer, and isn't in the best of health, but she loves the Book of Mormon. We think she's nervous about coming to church, but she REALLY wants to be baptized, and hopefully she will be in January!

Tim is married to a member. He loves the church since he's been introduced to it, and he wants to serve in the church also! He has been reading the Book of Mormon, and he has such a strong desire to be an example to his three kids.

Sheila's son joined the church, and so she began investigating the church also. She loves it. Her only reason she hasn't gotten baptized yet is that she hasn't given up smoking yet. 

Crystal is an older woman who really wants to get baptized by water and by fire, just like Christ taught.

Kassie LOVES the church. She had a strong experience with the Spirit one of the first times she attended church, and so she knows that it's true. 

There's more, but those are probably our top progressing investigators. Our biggest problem right now is that most of our investigators have maybe ONE concern or struggle that is keeping them from progressing to baptism. Many of them want it! They just need to take that next step :)

I probably should have put this last week, but I forgot. I finished the Book of Mormon last week! I prayed about it, and guess what? It's true :) But also, it was such a joy to read through the Book of Mormon this time highlighting the scriptures relating to the Atonement. There were so many. And as I focused my study on the Atonement, I found that my testimony and my understanding grew so much. It's not that I learned new facts or anything like that. But I understand it more because I was able to focus on it. It sunk deeper into my heart. It's hard to explain. But I know that the Atonement can give us so much more strength and power than we even understand. It is amazing. Jesus Christ is just waiting there, to reach out to us, to bless our lives, and to help us in EVERYTHING that we struggle with. I am so grateful to Heavenly Father for the gift of His Son and I am so grateful to Jesus Christ for being that sacrifice on our behalf.

#DiscoverTheGift #EmbraceTheGift #ShareTheGift

Now I'm reading the Book of Mormon looking for Christlike attributes :) I was inspired by my favorite chapter of Preach My Gospel! 

Let's see, other fun things that happened this week... Um. We visited an investigator even after she texted to cancel (she'd been cancelling over and over again, so we wanted to talk to her in person). She started by saying that she wasn't sure if she had time, then invited us in and we had a forty-five minute lesson on the Atonement. It was awesome! 

We had our "powwow" with the assistants to the president, which is when we share the insights we have about the sisters to help the APs know what they need in order to progress for transfers. From what I understand, we give our insights, but in the end it's mostly following the Spirit. I know I have been where I'm meant to be each and every transfer, even when it's been tougher!

Happy Christmas everyone! Only 10 more days :) I don't know what we'll be doing for email next week, since I think that the college is going to be closed, so it might be a shorty next week, but we'll see!

Love

Sister Barret

No comments:

Post a Comment